Last updated 31 December 2020. Products that are specifically recommended have a symbol.
Protect your email account.
- Use a secure, reputable email service like Google Workspace or Office 365 .
- Choose a secure password that only you know.
- Enable two-factor authentication.
- If you use a custom domain, do the same steps to secure your domain registrar account (such as GoDaddy).
Encrypt your communications.
- Enable HTTPS/SSL for your entire website — especially if you use a content management system like WordPress.
- Use an email encryption services like Virtru to secure sensitive information
- If you use public wifi, use a VPN service like Private Internet Access
- Consider using an end-to-end encrypted messaging service like Signal or Apple iMessage .
- Avoid using messaging services that the provider can read, like Facebook Messenger.
Manage your passwords.
- Use a password manager like 1Password , LastPass , or PassPack
- Use a unique password for every account, and make it random.
- The password managers can help you quickly generate these passwords.
- Don’t send a password over any unencrypted channels.
- Remember, if you use the same password across multiple sites, a breach of one company’s passwords could open up all your accounts.